This fee-based onsite afterschool program is offered for students of all grades and divided by grade level. The program combines academics with outdoor activities, and is held from 2:40 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. More information can be obtained from the school office or by contacting program director Elijah Chan at email@example.com.
Sunset Elementary Fall After School Enrichment Classes
Classes meet from 9/11/2017 – 12/15/2017
Online enrollment begins Friday, September 1 at 9:00 am and ends Friday, September 8 at Noon (or once maximum enrollment is met)
Fridays: Chess, Spanish
Daily, Mon – Thurs: Mandarin
Tinker Spy – Secret Agents, Detectives, Spies, oh My!
Description: Spend the week as Junior Renegade Agents, learning tools of the Secret Agent trade. Investigating, making, and tinkering take the forefront as Junior Agents discover a variety of ways to send secret codes, make their own handy spy gadgets, and hone their observation skills. Each Junior Agent receives official Renegade Spy certification when they complete their training! Renegade Kids classes always focus on a growth mindset, learning, community building, positive feedback, scientific and design methods, and role models. Class limit: 18 students.
Day: Mondays 9/11/2017 – 12/11/2017
Location: 2:40-3:50pm, Room 103 (Boys 1-3), Room 116 (Girls 1-3)
Cost: $264 (one scholarship available, see contact info)
Enroll Online: http://www.renegadegirlstinkeringclub.com/sunset.html
Contact: Vicky Keston, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-694-6148
Drama – Magical Wizards
Description: Together, we’ll fine tune our wizardry by casting spells and drinking magic potions that allow us to transform into enchanted creatures of all shapes and sizes. Our experienced teaching artists will use group theatre games that encourage storytelling, spontaneity and physical activity in a fast-paced format. Drama classes encourage children to cooperate, further develop their emotional intelligence and provide a much needed outlet for creativity. On the last day of class, family and friends are invited to view a final presentation of skills learned. Class limit: 20 students.
Grades: K-2, 3-5
Day: Tuesdays 9/12/2017 – 12/12/2017
Location: 2:40-3:50pm, Room 116 (K-2), Library (3-5)
Cost: $260 (some scholarships available, see contact info)
Enroll Online: https://nctcsf.formstack.com/forms/afterschooldrama
Contact: Kathleen Lee, email@example.com, 415-694-6148
Description: This course is to designed to help early elementary children build their beginning vocabulary in Spanish. Through listening and speaking exercises, the children will become comfortable in speaking simple Spanish sentences. We will learn to train the ears to be able to understand Spanish as a foreign language. We will train the mouth to pronounce and speak in Spanish words. Studying a foreign language helps with problem solving skills, critical thinking, creativity, memory and multi-tasking abilities. Small class sizes, 6:1 student/teacher ratio. Class limit: 15 students.
Day: Wednesdays & Fridays 9/13/2017 – 12/15/2017
Location: 2:40-3:50pm, Room 103
Contact: Christina Walker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-735-1540
Description: Chess is fun and can be learned quickly and easily! Studies have found that chess helps improve test results in reading, science, and math, and produces growth in critical cognitive skills. Beyond academia, chess influences social behavior including self-esteem, respect for others, patience, and good sportsmanship. And did we mention: it’s FUN! Boards and sets are provided for our classes. The Berkeley Chess School is a nonprofit organization offering chess instruction from kindergarten through high school since 1982. Class limit: 20 students.
Day: Fridays 9/15/2017 – 12/15/2017
Location: 2:40-3:50pm, Room 116
Enroll Online: https://bcs.jumbula.com/Fall2017/SunsetFall2017
Contact: Jamie, email@example.com, 510-843-0150
Qiao Ji Mandarin Language & Chinese Culture
Description: Qiao Ji Mandarin provides an excellent language program in a fun and nurturing environment. Students will learn to read and speak Mandarin as well as learning about Chinese culture through celebrations and classroom events. Our Mandarin teachers are all native Chinese speakers, and they are all experienced in teaching Mandarin and working with children. We are committed to building a solid foundation of life-time learning for our kids. Class limit: 30 students.
Grades: K – 5 (two classes)
Day: Daily, Monday – Thursday 9/11/2017 – 12/14/2017
Location: 2:40-3:50pm, Room 105 (MK), Room 117 (M1), Room A4 (M4); 3:50-5:00pm, Room 105 (M2), Room 117 (M3)
Enroll Online: http://www.qiaojimandarin.com/#!registration/con8
Contact: Jane Kwok, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-533-8477
Additional Enrollment Details:
- Enrollment for all enrichment classes begins on Friday 9/1/2017 at 9:00 a.m. and ends Friday 9/8/2017 at noon, or when maximum enrollment is met, whichever comes first.
- All enrichment classes have enrollment caps. Enrollment will be closed after max enrollment cap is met. Siblings must be enrolled individually.
- Enrichment classes have class minimums. If the minimum enrollment for a class is NOT met, the class will be canceled. You will be alerted by the After School Enrichment Coordinator, Karina Reese, and refunded by provider.
- Scholarships are often available. Please contact individual providers for details.
- All enrichment classes have a late pick-up policy. Parents will receive specific details from provider. You will be asked for emergency contact information during the enrollment process. If your child/ren are NOT enrolled in the After School Learning Program, they MUST be picked up after class at the designated classroom.
- Child/ren in the Excel After School Learning Program should be picked up at their usual Excel pick-up location between 5:45pm and 6:00pm. After class, the Enrichment class providers will escort your child/ren to the Excel After School Learning Program, where program staff will check them in.
- Enrichment classes follow the school calendar. When school is closed, no enrichment classes take place. No enrichment classes will take place the week of Thanksgiving Break (11/20-11/24/2017) and parent/teacher conferences (11/27-12/1/2017).
- Payment for enrichment classes should be made directly to the provider of the class via ONLINE enrollment or in some cases, by email/phone.
- DO NOT leave payment for enrichment classes with Sunset Elementary teachers, the office, or the PTA. Contact the provider directly!
- Specific questions about enrichment classes should be directed to the class provider listed on this page. Sunset Elementary teachers and PTA will not be able to answer specific questions.
For general questions about after school enrichment programs at Sunset Elementary School please contact: Karina Reese, After School Enrichment Program Coordinator at: email@example.com