This fee-based onsite afterschool program is offered for students of all grades and divided by grade level. The program combines academics with outdoor activities, and is held from 2:40 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. More information can be obtained from the school office or by contacting program director Elijah Chan at email@example.com.
Sunset Elementary Spring After School Enrichment Classes
Classes meet from 1/12/2018 – 5/25/2018
Online enrollment begins Friday, January 12 at 9:00 am and ends Friday, January 19 at noon (or once maximum enrollment is reached)
Thursdays: Tree Frog Treks
Daily, Mon-Thurs: Mandarin
Tinker Your Future
It’s Career Day for Renegades. What might the future hold? We explore a myriad of professions with science, technology, engineering and math foundations. What kinds of scientists are there? What is a tech worker? Our Renegades will explore fields they may not know existed, and others they may be curious about. Future biomedical engineers build a prosthetic limb. Budding chemists mix polymers to create resin shapes. We investigate how physics and engineering come together to create a zip line for a theme park. Class limit: 18 students.
Day: Mondays 1/22/2018 – 5/21/2018 except 2/19, 3/5, 3/26
Location: 2:50-3:50pm, Room 103 (Boys K-3), Room 116 (Girls K-3)
Cost: $330 (one scholarship available, see contact info)
Enroll Online: http://www.renegadegirlstinkeringclub.com/sunset.html
Contact: Vicky Keston, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-694-6148
Drama – Out of this World Space Explorers
Description: Play, create and explore the outer space-themed drama workshop! Together, we’ll travel the universe and explore the mysteries of space and time. Our inter-stellar actors will transform into 3-headed aliens, walk the surface of Mars and take their space shuttles into unchartered territory. Who knows what they’ll find? Older students will work with scripts from NCTC’s production of Goldi Locks and the Three Aliens. This activity encourages creative expression, storytelling, cooperation, spontaneity and physical activity in a fast-paced format. On the final day of class, parents will be invited to a final presentation of games, activities, and a performance. Class limit: 20 students.
Grades: K-2 and 3-5
Day: Tuesdays 1/23/2018 – 5/15/2018 except 3/6, 3/27
Location: 2:50-3:50pm, Room 116 (K-2), Library (3-5)
Cost: $260 (some scholarships available, see contact info)
Enroll Online: https://nctcsf.formstack.com/forms/afterschooldrama
Contact: Kathleen Lee, email@example.com, 415-694-6148
Tree Frog Treks – Science Explorers
Description: Follow in the footsteps of the great minds of science, and make amazing discoveries about the world we live in! We will don our goggles and lab coats to experiment with gravity, centrifugal force, pressure and temperature. We’ll make bubbling lava lamps, slime, and hydrogen soap bubbles that explode! Learn about atoms and molecules, mix acids and bases, and create reactions that can power a rocket and much more! Our animal ambassadors will be our guides as we learn how to track wild animals, use a compass, and even make our own rope! Become a Science Explorer with the knowledgeable naturalists and amazing reptile and amphibian animal ambassadors from Tree Frog Treks. Class limit: 15 students.
Grades: K-2 and 3-5
Day: Thursdays 1/25/2018 – 5/24/2018 except 3/8, 3/29
Location: 2:50-3:50pm, Room 103 (K-2), 4:00-5:00pm (3-5)
Contact: Erin Elizabeth Dal Farro, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-876-3764
Chess – Winter & Spring Sessions
Description: Chess is fun and can be learned quickly and easily! Studies have found that chess helps improve test results in reading, science, and math, and produces growth in critical cognitive skills. Beyond academia, chess influences social behavior including self-esteem, respect for others, patience, and good sportsmanship. And did we mention: it’s FUN! Boards and sets are provided for our classes. The Berkeley Chess School is a nonprofit organization offering chess instruction from kindergarten through high school since 1982. Class limit: 20 students.
Day: WINTER: Fridays 1/26/2018 – 3/23/2018, except 2/16
SPRING: Fridays 4/6/2018 – 5/25/2018
Location: 2:50-3:50pm, Room 116
Cost: $136 (per session)
Enroll Online: http://www.berkeleychessschool.org
Contact: Jamie, email@example.com, 510-843-0150
Qiao Ji Mandarin Language & Chinese Culture
Description: Qiao Ji Mandarin provides an excellent language program in a fun and nurturing environment. Students will learn to read and speak Mandarin as well as learning about Chinese culture through celebrations and classroom events. Our Mandarin teachers are all native Chinese speakers, and they are all experienced in teaching Mandarin and working with children. We are committed to building a solid foundation of life-time learning for our kids. Class limit: 30 students.
Grades: K – 5 (two classes)
Day: Daily, Monday – Thursday 1/22/2018 – 5/24/2018 except 2/19, 3/5-3/8, 3/26-3/29
Location: 2:50-3:50pm, Room 105 (MK), Room 117 (M1)
4:00-5:00pm, Room 105 (M2), Room 117 (M3), Room A4 (M4)
Enroll online: http://www.qiaojimandarin.com/#!registration/con8
Contact: Jane Kwok, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-533-8477
Additional Enrollment Details:
- Enrollment for all enrichment classes begins on Friday 1/12/2018 at 9:00 a.m. and ends Friday 1/19/18 at noon, or when maximum enrollment is met, whichever comes first.
- All enrichment classes have enrollment caps. Enrollment will be closed after max enrollment cap is met. Siblings must be enrolled individually.
- Enrichment classes have class minimums. If the minimum enrollment for a class is NOT met, the class will be canceled. You will be alerted by the After School Enrichment Coordinator, Karina Reese, and refunded by provider.
- Scholarships are often available. Please contact individual providers for details.
- All enrichment classes have a late pick-up policy. Parents will receive specific details from provider. You will be asked for emergency contact information during the enrollment process. If your child/ren are NOT enrolled in the After School Learning Program, they MUST be picked up after class at the designated classroom.
- Child/ren in the Excel After School Learning Program should be picked up at their usual Excel pick-up location between 5:45pm and 6:00pm. After class, the Enrichment class providers will escort your child/ren to the Excel After School Learning Program, where program staff will check them in.
- Enrichment classes follow the school calendar. When school is closed, no enrichment classes take place. No enrichment classes will take place the week of Parent/Teacher Conferences (3/5-3/9/18) and Spring Break (3/26-3/30/18).
- Payment for enrichment classes should be made directly to the provider of the class via ONLINE enrollment or in some cases, by email/phone. Registration links are above.
- DO NOT leave payment for enrichment classes with Sunset Elementary teachers, the office, or the PTA. Contact the provider directly!
- Specific questions about enrichment classes should be directed to the class provider listed on this page. Sunset Elementary teachers and PTA will not be able to answer specific questions.
For general questions about after school enrichment programs at Sunset Elementary School please contact: Karina Reese, After School Enrichment Program Coordinator at: email@example.com