This fee-based onsite afterschool program is offered for students of all grades and divided by grade level. The program combines academics with outdoor activities, and is held from 2:40 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. More information can be obtained from the school office or by contacting program director Elijah Chan at email@example.com.
Sunset Elementary After School Enrichment Classes, Spring 2019
January 22, 2019-May 24, 2019
- Enrollment for all enrichment classes begins on Friday 1/11/2019 at 9:00 a.m. and ends Friday 1/18/2019 at noon, or when maximum enrollment is met, whichever comes first.
- All enrichment classes have enrollment caps and minimums. Enrollment will be closed after maximum enrollment cap is met. Siblings must be enrolled individually. If the minimum enrollment for a class is NOT met, the class will be canceled. You will be alerted by the After School Enrichment Coordinator, Wendy Wallin and refunded by provider.
- All enrichment classes have a late pick-up policy. Parents will receive specific details from provider. If your child/ren are NOT enrolled in the After School Learning Program, they MUST be picked up after class in the school cafeteria. Child/ren in the Excel After School Learning Program should be picked up at their usual Excel pick-up location by 6:00 pm. After class the Enrichment class providers will escort your child/ren to the Excel After School Learning Program, where program staff will check them in.
- Enrichment classes follow the school calendar. When school is closed, no enrichment classes take place. No classes will take place 2/5, 2/18, the week of 3/4-3/8 (parent teacher conferences), and the week of 3/25-3/29 (spring break).
- Payment for enrichment classes should be made directly to the provider of the class via ONLINE enrollment or in some cases, by email/phone. Registration links are below. Scholarships are often available.
- Specific questions about enrichment classes should be directed to the class provider listed on this flier. Sunset Elementary teachers and PTA will not be able to answer specific questions.
For general questions about after school enrichment programs at Sunset Elementary School please contact: Wendy Wallin, Afterschool Enrichment Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need translation help, please email email@example.com.
Class Description & Registration Information:
Description: Chess is fun and can be learned quickly and easily! Studies have found that chess helps improve test results in reading, science, and math, and produces growth in critical cognitive skills. Beyond academia, chess influences social behavior including self-esteem, respect for others, patience, and good sportsmanship. And did we mention: it’s FUN! Boards and sets are provided for our classes. The Berkeley Chess School is a nonprofit organization offering chess instruction from kindergarten through high school since 1982. Class limit: 20 students.
Day: Fridays 1/25-5/24, except 3/8 and 3/29
Location: 2:50-3:50 Room 105
Enroll Online: http://www.berkeleychessschool.org/programs/after-school-classes/
Contact: Jamie, firstname.lastname@example.org, 510-843-0150
Drama – The Wizard of Oz
Description: Together, we’ll travel over the rainbow and use drama games and activities to explore the characters and themes of this beloved story. Our actors will become munchkins, flying monkeys, witches and wizards to help Dorothy discover there’s no place like home. We’ll end the session with a presentation of scenes and improvisations. This activity encourages storytelling, cooperation, spontaneity and physical activity in a fast- paced format. Class limit: 20 students.
Day: Tuesdays 1/22-5/21, except 2/5, 3/5, 3/26
Location: 2:50-3:50 Room 105
Cost: $275 (some scholarships available, please email Kathleen Lee prior to when registration begins)
Enroll Online: https://register.asapconnected.com/classdetail.aspx?org=5010&pk=1120082 (enrollment for this class opens at 11am instead of 9am on 1/11)
Contact: Kathleen Lee, email@example.com, 415-694-6148
Qiao Ji Mandarin Language & Chinese Culture
Description: Qiao Ji Mandarin provides an excellent language program in a fun and nurturing environment. Students will learn to read and speak Mandarin as well as learning about Chinese culture through celebrations and classroom events. Our Mandarin teachers are all native Chinese speakers and they are all experienced in teaching Mandarin and working with children. We are committed to building a solid foundation of life-time learning for our kids. Class limit: 30 students.
Grades: K – 5 (four classes a week)
Days: Monday – Thursday 1/22-5/23, except 2/5, 2/18, 3/4-3/7, 3/25-3/28.
Location: 2:50-3:50 Room 116 (MK), Room 117 (M1), 4:00-5:00 Room 116 (M2), Room 117 (M3), Room A4 (M4) Cost: $770
Enroll online: www.qiaojimandarin.com
Contact: Jane Kwok, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-533-8477
Description: Have your children learn and practice Spanish! This program provides energetic speaking, reading, and writing opportunities in basic Spanish. Our instructors use a variety of teaching methods, depending on the learning level and interests of the child, to teach vocabulary, colors, numbers, and general grammar. We keep classes fun throughout the learning process, using art, song, dance, simple cooking, and multimedia in Spanish. These methods help the children feel comfortable speaking and listening in their new language. Class limit: 10 students.
Grades: K – 2 (two classes a week)
Days: Tuesday and Wednesdays 1/22-5/22, except 2/5, 2/12, 3/5, 3/6, 3/26, and 3/27 Location: 2:50-3:50 Library (Tuesdays), Room 103 (Wednesdays)
Enroll Online: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/classic/ws?studioid=35589&stype=41&sTG=7&prodId=10573
Contact: Simone, email@example.com, (415) 735-4184
Tinkering—Tools of The Tinker Spy
Description: Renegade Tinkering returns to the world of spies and secret agents with our newest offering, Tools of the Tinker Spy! Renegades do not need previous Tinker Spy training to invent and create spy gadgets, delve into the world of codes, and explore the science that can help spies complete their missions and return home safely. Whether your junior agent has earned Clearance Level Three or is a fresh recruit, an all new spy adventure awaits them! This message will now self-destruct . . . Class limit: 18
Day: Mondays 1/28-5/20 except 2/18, 3/4, 3/25
Location: 2:50-3:50 Room 103 (Boys 1-3), Room 105 (Girls 1-3)
Cost: $308 (one scholarship available, see contact info)
Enroll Online: https://www.renegadegirlstinkeringclub.com/sunset.html
Contact: Vicky Keston, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-694-6148
Tree Frog Treks—How Things Work
Description: Did you ever wonder how airplanes fly? How the heart pumps blood around the body? What about how giant boats made of steel can float? If you are the kind of tinkering, curious frog that asks your parents why, why, why, then this semester of fun hands-on science is for you! We’ll look to the future of renewable resources to learn about cool clean energy sources for power like the sun, water and air. We’ll also dive deep into local topics like how our bridges carry millions of cars each year, what makes our earth quake and shake, and how native species survive and thrive in the Bay Area. While we observe our animal ambassadors like Santa the Bearded Dragon and Abeni the Sulcata Tortoise, we will learn how scientists look to nature to help create new inventions and how machines we use today mimic the natural world. So put on your thinking caps and come join Tree Frog Treks to discover How Things Work! Class limit: 15 students.
Grades: K-2, 3-5
Day: Thursdays 1/24-5/23 except 3/7, 3/28
Location: 2:50-3:50 Room 103 (K-2); 4:00-5:00 Room 103(3-5)
Enroll Online: https://campscui.active.com/orgs/TreeFrogTreksLLC?orglink=camps-registration
Contact: Erin Elizabeth Dal Farro, email@example.com, 415-876-3764